For the first time since 2013 the Bruins are headed to the Stanley Cup Final. The Bruins punched their ticket by blanking the Carolina Hurricanes 4-0 to complete the 4 game sweep.
The game, like the series was never really in doubt. The Bruins carried play in the first period but failed to score despite several juicy chances.
The B’s potted a pair of power play goals in the second. The first on a pretty set up from Brad Marchand to David Pastrnak to make it 1-0.
The second goal – a back breaker – game late in the 3rd. Some crisp passing resulted in give and go between Patrice Bergeron and Pastrnak with Bergy firing it past Canes goalie Curtis McElhinney who never really had a chance.
The first line continued its dominant play extending the lead to 3-0 following a horrible Canes turnover. Once again it was Pastrnak assisting Bergeron this time with a beautiful no look pass.
Brad Marchand added and empty net goal to complete the scoring.
Tuukka Rask, who was spectacular in Game 3, was not really tested much at all in Game 4 as the Canes never really were able to mount sustained pressure.
The Bruins will play the winner of the San Jose Sharks vs St Louis Blue series. San Jose currently leads the series 2-game-to-1.
- Zdeno Chara was a late scratch and is considered day to day with an undisclosed injury. John Moore stepped into his spot. Chara was on the ice with his teammates for the final handshake.
- He wasn’t Tuukka Rask 1st period Game 3 good but Canes goaltender Curtis McElhinney kept Caolina in the game with some spectacular saves. 11 in all including a couple testers.
- Noel Acciari returned to the lineup in place of the Chris Wagner who was injured blocking a shot late in Game 3.
- The Bruins power play was dominant all series going 7 for 15. The Canes scored one in 14 power play tries.
- The Bruins outscored Carolina 17-5 in series.
- Massive Bruins contingent in the building for Game 4, sensing a Cup birth was imminent.
- If the Bruins end up facing the Sharks it would be the 3rd straight Boston vs California Finals show down. The Red Sox beat the LA Dodgers in the World Series back in October. The Patriots beat the LA Rams in Super Bowl LIII.