Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not out of the woods yet as he continues to recover from a gunshot wound suffered in June during a visit to the Dominican Republic.
Ortiz has now undergone a 3rd surgery following complications from the injuries suffered during the shooting.
Today his wife Tiffany released a statement through the Red Sox that reads.
“Earlier this week, David underwent a third surgery for complications resulting from his gunshot wound. The operation was performed by Dr. David King at Massachusetts General Hospital. David is recovering well and is in good spirits.”
— Red Sox (@RedSox) July 11, 2019
Ortiz was shot at a club in the Dominican Republic on June 9th. Doctors in the Dominican Republic removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine before he was flown to Boston in an air ambulance sent by the Red Sox.
Once in Boston, the former Sox slugger underwent a second surgery on June 10. This week’s operation was performed by Dr. David King at Massachusetts General.
Prosecutors have said that the shooting was a case of mistaken identity and the intended target was a friend of Ortiz’s Sixto David Fernández, a friend of Ortiz’s who seated at the same table as the retired Red Sox legend at the time of the shooting.
The country’s attorney general said that authorities believe Victor Hugo Gómez Vasquez – a man with alleged ties to a Mexican Drug Cartel orchestrated the hit.