Josh Gordon is back.
The former All-Pro receiver was in uniform during Patriots practice on Sunday after being officially removed from the non-football injury list.
Gordon was reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on August 16 and placed on the NFI two days later.
Had Gordon not been removed from NFI, he would have had to miss at least the first six games of the regular season.
After not playing since Week 15 last season, Gordon now being on the 90-man roster puts him on track to play Week 1 against Pittsburgh in two weeks.
The 28-year old could see significant time on the playing field right away. New England has seen several of their receivers hobbled by injuries, including first round pick N’Keal Harry.
Gordon showed impressive chemistry with quarterback Tom Brady in 2018 since he arrived from Cleveland. In the 11 games he played, the former All-Pro caught 40 passes for 720 yards and three touchdowns.
He left the team in December to deal with personal issues after failing another drug test.
The Patriots released Maurice Harris to clear room for Gordon. Harris had a good time but lost momentum after suffering an injury two weeks ago. He had not practiced or played in a game since.
In 2014 Gordon led the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards in a breakout campaign. He has since played in only 22 games the past five seasons because of recurring off-field issues and substance abuse problems.
New England also got receivers Julian Edelman and Demaryius Thomas back on their active roster this past week.
Other Practice Notes
- Patrick Chung was back at practice after missing Thursday’s preseason game. It’s the first time we’ve seen him since news of his cocaine arrest in New Hampshire.
- In addition to Harris the Patriots also released LB Keionta Davis.
- Several players missed practice including Brandon King who was placed on Injured Reserve after getting hurt on Thursday.
- Also out of action were Ben Watson, Trent Harris, Cameron Meredith (PUP), Damien Harris, Shilique Calhoun, Derek Rivers, Lance Kendricks, and Yodny Cajuste.
- The team announced the signing of LB Scooby Wright and RB Robert Martin.