Dominican AG says David Ortiz Shooter Meant to Kill Someone Else

The Domincan Republic's Attorney General says another man was the intended target of the shooting which left Ortiz wounded.

262
0
SHARE

Turns out former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was not the intended target of a shooting 10 days ago in a Dominican Republic nightclub. Or so says the Dominican Republic’s Lead Attorney.

Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez says the target was another man sitting at Ortiz’s table. According to Rodriguez the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico’s Gulf Cartel.

It should be noted that Ortiz is 6′ 3″ and approximately 245 pounds and instantly recognizable, especially in his native Dominican Republic where he is a hero on epic proportions.

Ortiz remains hospitalized from the gunshot wound to his back. Doctors have upgraded his condition from “guarded” to “good.”

Yesterday, Ortiz’s attorney José Martínez Hoepelman batted away ‘salacious’ rumors that his client was involved in affair with the girlfriend of a local drug kingpin as other outlets had reported as the motivation for the shooting.

“I can say that David Ortiz is innocent in what happened. He has no connection to illicit activities, no relationships with people who have criminal connections, nor has he violated his family values that would bring about such an incident,” Hopelman told the Boston Globe Tuesday. “What I can tell you is that I’m satisfied with the work the authorities have done so far. Obviously I have to wait to see what the family thinks, but as a lawyer, I’m happy with the work the authorities have done so far.”